This is a public service announcement... (with guitars! (from "Know Your Rights" - Clash))
If you've reached this profile, then you've probably read my writings somewhere or met me in person. You might even be in the middle of an interaction or dialogue with me somewhere and you might be looking for some clues about who I am and what I'm about.
Here's a big one. I'm autistic - I self identify as aspergers syndrome. Most of the time I pass for NT, (neuro-typical), or just a little bit odd. And I'm not particularly debilitated. This comes from decades of hard work and practice on my part trying to present myself as someone with plausible social skills. And I still don't always win.
For example, I try, but don't always remember to say "hello" or "good-bye", (15 years worth of working on this). Or to make eye contact when talking with people, (25 years of working on this). Or to smile when meeting people, (very recent, under a year of working on this). I'm typically stressed in "social" situations. The less structured, the more stress. Your basic "drinks & small talk" party is one of the more grueling experiences in my life.
Here are some helpful hints for those who don't (yet) know me very well.
1) If you think you are having an awkward, difficult, or confusing interaction with me, there's a virtual certainty that I'm experiencing something very similar about you. I'm not "trying to be difficult". Really.
2) I'm relatively guile and game free. If you think I'm playing you, or trying to, then we almost certainly have a misunderstanding already and it's extremely unlikely that I've created the misunderstanding intentionally.
3) The best way to clear up a misunderstanding with me is to double check your assumptions by asking me point blank questions. I'm almost certainly doing the same thing with you already.
4) If you think "everybody knows" something, then you'd better say that thing explicitly. If "everybody knows" something, then there's a really good chance that I don't know it.
5) I suck with providing validation, (15 years of working on this). I'm still working on it, but I still suck at it. Let me just apologize right here, up front, days or weeks in advance of whatever interaction we might be having. I suck at validation and I'm sorry. Please do not confuse a lack of validation on my part as thinking any less of your perspective. I'm unlikely to say, "that's an interesting point, but what about..." I'm much more likely to just bluntly ask the next question. It's not personal, and I don't mean to be attacking you. Really.
6) I'm capable of providing validation - I just don't think to do so, especially if I'm stressed, (eg, in a social situation), or in the middle of a discussion. If you want it from me, please feel free to ask me.
7) I don't mean any of this to be an excuse nor is it an intent to duck responsibility. I intend to take responsibility for myself and for my actions. But at the same time, I can't take responsibility for things I don't know about. And if you haven't told me explicity, then I probably don't know about it. (See also #4 above).
8) I have a tendency to be blunt, terse, very direct, and exceedingly precise in my language. It's not intended to be aggressive or hostile. Please don't read it as such.
I now return you to your regularly scheduled profile.
I'm an engineer with most of the geekishness, introversion, and rigorous intelligence that suggests.
I'm a relatively conservative person who is not afraid of an atypical solution. In fact, I enjoy and prefer them when they make sense. I'm reasonably fit (and improving), a pretty direct communicator with a dash of romanticism who enjoys exploring life and discovering ourselves.
I especially enjoy edge/exploratory play and pursuits/study/practices involving sacred sexuality. I think of myself as a shaman. I drum some. I'm a trained hypnotist and a certified health and master practitioner of Neuro-Linguistic Programming (NLP). I'm a very nominal martial artist and I'm looking for a good Yang style tai chi teacher who is easily accessible from the peninsula.
In the last year I've been taking tantra classes and working my way through Margot Anand's facilitator's training cycle. I've also started teaching bdsm & sex magick classes again. More info at http://teamnoir.name